Monday, August 8, 2011

Two Eggs in One Day!

Finally!  After a 6 day break, Gertrude has begun laying again, all be it "all over again" with a tiny egg weighing in at only 1.2 ounces this morning.  Henrietta, on the other hand, laid a "monster" egg twice the size of yesterday's that weighed in at 1.7 ounces, our biggest egg yet!  I weighed a medium sized store bought egg for comparison, it weighed 1.8 ounces.  However, I noticed if I leave the fresh eggs sit in the fridge, they get lighter as time goes by!  A 1.4 ounce egg weighs in at only 1.3 ounces the following morning, it's kinda weird!  They shuld all be laying large sized eggs when they really get into the swing of things...but I have a suspicion that all three of my birds are "stunted" somehow as they are only about half the size they "should" be according to their breed "standards".  Of course, I realize these are not pure breed stock from a reputable breeder, they are "hatchery birds" which generally means that while they are whatever breed they are (most of the time), they breed everything together, awesome bred birds and the sub-standards alike to keep their production numbers up.

I do not expect perfection out of my pets...obviously if you take a look at my other pets, lol.  I would appreciate it if the girls would lay close to the size they are supposed to and if they would at least lay on some sort of regular schedule!  I was really worried that Gerty hadn't laid an egg in almost a week!  The run is very...sparse, so I really don't think there are any hiding spots left for her, but we will continue to look for those 5-6 "missing" eggs.  Not to be outdone yesterday...Clyde took a turn sitting on the fake eggs in the nest box...she hasn't laid an egg yet, but it would appear she may in the next week or so (if what Henri did is any indication)!  It really is a blast watching them take turns with the nest box!  It "is" big enough for two to fit in, but they really like cuddling those plastic eggs for a while...they coo at them which I find hilarious while I watch from the kitchen via Chicken channel TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment