Saturday, February 23, 2013

Revisiting the Fat Bombs...Already!

Well, the fat bombs are a hit at my house (meaning I can;t stop eating them)!  The first batch of Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs are long gone, so is half the batch of Lemon Bombs (cream cheese and sour cream in these bombs)!  Today though, I picked up a couple sets of Silicone "mini" muffin liners!  Rather than getting one big bomb, now I can have two little bombs!  This will prove especially handy if I ever get more than one flavor going at any given time (like if I make just Peanut Butter Bombs...yum), then I can mix and match for my snacking pleasure.

Not only have I miniaturized my bombs, I tweaked the recipe a bit as well.  The idea of a fat bomb is not mine by any means, nor are the ratios (though I did accidentally double the coconut oil this time).  All that is truly "mine" here is the flavor combination (or rather the ratios of everything I put in).  What I did manage to do, mostly by being more careful with my ingredient selection, was reduce the net carb count from the original 2.3g I had figured down to a "measly" 1.2g net carbs for 2 Tablespoons (2 small bombs or 1 big bomb)!  Hello chocolatey snacking goodness!

Without further ado, here is the updated recipe...

"New" Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs ala Marcy

  • 1 stick (yes, the whole stick) Butter, I use Salted...it's yummy in "sweet" things!
  • 1 cup Coconut Oil, Melted (Remember, do not measure coconut oil in it's solid state, melt it first)
  • 8 Tablespoons Peanut Butter (I used Skippy Natural, Creamy because it is only 4g net carbs per 2 Tablespoons)
  • 9 Tablespoons Sugar Free Hershey's Chocolate Chips
Melt Butter, Coconut Oil, & Peanut Butter in a glass bowl (I use my 8-cup glass measuring cup) in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.  Just until it's hot enough to get everything to mix and make a smooth liquid, it's very runny until you set them up in the fridge or freezer.  Then add your chocolate chips (I keep mine in the freezer, so I probably need to melt mine fore longer than you would if you had them sitting out), give it a stir to start the melting process and break up the clumps a bit.  Microwave another 30-60 seconds until your chocolate is almost melted and then stir until smooth.

Measure your bombs out into something you can get them out of easily once they have set up, I use silicone baking liners because you can just peel them away and reuse them over and over!  Pop them in the freezer for 10-15 minutes or in the fridge for much longer (I have two dinner plates covered in bombs in the fridge but I still don't know how long they take to set up, the batch in the freezer took about 10 minutes (I've eaten one already)!

Your nutritional information may vary a bit from mine...but to figure mine, I subtract all dietary fiber and sugar alcohols, I also don't count Splenda or the like as a general rule (there isn't any added sweetener in this recipe).

For the whole batch, the numbers are scary high, but remember this turned into 40 servings!
  • Calories - 4120
  • Fat - 420.5
  • Carbs - 105
  • Dietary Fiber - 17
  • Sugar Alcohols - 63
  • Net Carbs - 25
  • Protein - 33.5
Per Serving...things look much better!
  • Calories - 103
  • Fat - 10.5
  • Carbs -2.6
  • Dietary Fiber - 0.4
  • Sugar Alcohols -1.6
  • Net Carbs - 0.6
  • Protein - 0.8
That means I can still have two (or even three) for only 1.2 (or 1.8 for three) net carbs!  Twice as much of thi batch is close to the original recipe!

Now I'm off to make Green Goddess Grilled Chicken (from the New Atkins for a New You cookbook) (2g net carbs) to go with a side salad with a bit of Green Goddess Dressing to go on top!  Dessert tonight will be a Fat Bomb or two...all for well under my carbs for the day, yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment