Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Busy Week!

I've had a little helper this week, so that means not a lot got "done"...but we had fun doing it!  The picture was the first morning they (my Mom and my Nephew) were here.  He was up at 8am playing outside in one of my sweatshirts and his pj's!  Lesson learned after he walked through "stickers" though and we had to wash the slippers and pants!

While out getting water to water the starts inside the house with the other day, I found a little Tulip (I think?) growing on either side of the flower box barrier at the front windows!  We haven't planted any sort of bulbs since we moved in nearly 4 years ago, and this is the first time I've seen them...so I think the squirrels left me a present last Fall!

For dinner last night, I finally got around to trying the Lisa's Five Spice Sweet and Sour Chicken from her blog (here)!  I misread the recipe a bit and brought my sauce to a boil before I added the Xanthum Gum to it, but it turned out alright!  As far as Xanthum Gum goes, Bob's Red Mill sells a 10 ounce (or so) package for about $13.50 (give or take a quarter where I went), but if you can find it in bulk, go that way!  I doubled the sauce recipe because I was making Chicken as well as Shrimp for dinner and only used 1 1/2 teaspoons!  I bought bulk from Yoke's (small regional grocery chain?) for $20.19 a pound...but since I only got about 2 ounces, I paid just under $4 for my entire purchase (which also included a box of extra firm Tofu for another day that was on sale for $1.70)!  Both recipes turned out great and was more than enough to feed the four of us with 3 chicken breasts, about 50 small shrimp, a bag of frozen "stir fry" Veggies (mine had Asparagus in it), and a double dose of sauce!  There was enough that it is also what I had for lunch today!

We've also been keeping busy away from the computers...Fluxx is a favorite game in our house!  As is Cribbage and Quiddler (basically a card game version of Scrabble).  All three have been played in the last few days, but my cribbage board(s) both need new cards now!  Luckily, we have several new sets and I like the old "broken in" ones for things like Solitaire.

It has been such a busy week, I didn't even get a chance to post this yesterday!  I'll start another one for the rest of my week...

No comments:

Post a Comment