Monday, August 15, 2011

IBA #507


# 507 - Scrapbooking as a hobby; making it a social event…

This is something I could really get behind!  I have never scrapbooked, I am more of a “fill the page with photos just as they were printed” kind of gal!  Not that I never trim any photos, in fact since we have a digital camera and a semi-decent printer (it is in desperate need of replacing), I often print photos off and trim them down into smaller frames, this works great for those large square-holed frames!  I have one of those frames sitting right here next to me at my desk even!  IT has a large, 3-inch square opening in the frame.  So, I printed off a large copy of a photo I have of our middle nephew (lovingly referred to as “#2” on the internet) cuddled with our dog a few summers ago while we were visiting them.  As taken, it is not that flattering of a photo!  However, they did spend most of the two days we were there just like this.  The look that both boy and dog have is near priceless as well!  Therefore, I printed off a larger photo (5”x7” I think), laid the glass over the portion I wanted to keep, and with a sharp pair of scissors, used the blade on one side to scour the photo.  I do that part over several layers of old newspaper so I do not cut my desk (again).  I am sure I have not explained what I did very well, but you get the idea.  The nephew in the photo actually took a photo of the framed photo! while he was here visiting.  It is so much easier to "show" than to "tell"...

 
My sister is the scrap booker in the family…but back to the point, my brain is still trying to wake up!  I think it would be awesome to make a social event (I’m thinking something like a quilting circle) were I could regularly meet up with the same people (I would guess it would be mostly women, but you never know) and share the “tools” needed to be awesome at scrapbooking!  Of course, it would just give me one more excuse to want a Cricut…I bet I could be really creative with one of those!  Half my non-artsy-ness stems from the fact that I cannot draw worth a darn!  Well, I know they offer this sort f thing at specialty scrapbooking stores…but it is expensive and they expect you to purchase all your materials there (I knew of one place that only allowed you to bring photos into the store, everything else for your pages had to be purchased on site)!  For now though, I will stick to filling in my square photo frames…I still have very empty walls in my home that need something on them!

No comments:

Post a Comment